Afghaniganza! NOW Black Afghani, Cherry Queen, Black Leb and Blue Hemp Leb

The black leb is gorgeous!

Am I reading right that the blue would have been done in 44 days??!? I’ve never seen anything that quick. Also, the clear stuff is called ‘guttation’. A sign of a high Brix plant.

I’m sure you probably already knew that. First time I saw it I thought I found some kind of one in a million freak that was making thc balls, but sadly its just basically sugar water haha

13 Likes

I didn’t know that! Thanks for sharing. Both of my blue hemp Lebanese are producing it. It has a nice taste. :yum:

Yes, they could have been finished at about 45 days. I’ve never seen anything finish that quickly either… Pretty amazing. The black lebs are pretty much dead on Gene seeds estimation of 60 days.

9 Likes

Damn, that’s a cash croppers dream there.

Personally, I’ve never seen anything done in under 56 in all my years. There were always rumours of m39 actually being done in 39 days, but I think it was just lazy growers chopping way too early.

3 Likes

That black leb looks intense. Interesting to hear smoke report

3 Likes

Blue Hemp #3

This one definitely yielded better than the other. Smells more terpy as well. Have seeds still maturing on branches in the tent. I just lopped off the top portion that I didn’t pollinate.

15 Likes

Black Lebanon #3 (chopped @ 61 days)

Just eye candy… :heart_eyes:

First of the black lebs to get the chop. Same story with this one. Gonna cut the top and let the seeds mature longer. These buds are awesome… so large and compact. Had to put it in from of the black sheet for some glamor shots. This one was spot on 60 days. Props to Gene Seeds for breeding this awesome specimen, and giving an accurate flower time.

27 Likes

Cherry Queen #3 (chopped @ 61 days)

Nice squatty plant, pumping the frost. It does smell like cherries. Finished in 61 days. The other pheno probably has a week or two left. A little bit leafy, but that’s not much of a problem, as everything is coated in resin anyway. :smile:

27 Likes

Lowland x DK

Black Domina x DK

@PoppaPuff Here’s a few snaps of mine. Loving the late flops on a few of these. :laughing:

All the nugs along the main stem will get as much light as the top. They all bend upward toward the light, and by the end will be pretty plump. It looks goofy, but it does work. Only catch is sometimes it becomes too much of a lever arm and you need to put a rope around it if you grow in small coco pots like me. :joy:

Some good trichome development down the leaves on a few of these. Should be pretty exciting!

19 Likes

Looking good. Flowers catching up

2 Likes

Blue Hemp Lebanese

This vintage Lebanese was fun to grow. It’s an interesting plant, with some bizarre characteristics. It doesn’t yield particularly well. Nonetheless, it’s a super fast finisher and it has some decent frosty nugs. I did a pre-cure smoke test, and it’s quite enjoyable. Nutty, woody flavor and extremely smooth inhale. Rich port-like aftertaste…no doubt from the sugary sap in the buds. Very laid back and relaxing effect, focused, but calming.

This plant is very unique. I have no doubt I’ll puff through it pretty quickly.

18 Likes

Cherry Queen #1 (chopped @ 69 days)

This was a nice plant, that unfortunately gets crossed off my list due to nanners. I probably wouldn’t have used the seeds anyway. The Black Afghani seems to be a little less consistently good, so I will likely be using the good BA female (looking really good actually…) as the selection for my crosses with cherry queen.

Some other notes about this plant – super frosty and pretty compact. Structurally, this is definitely a pretty standard Afghani. Very good resin production, with a definite scent of cherry at various points during the grow. Pretty easy grow overall. I’ll be keeping this strain in mind for future projects.

23 Likes

Pretty plant. What’s the deal with hermie epidemic nowadays? I’ve never had herms, my current round is 4/5. Seems far more common than it used to be…

5 Likes

This one just threw out a couple stamen… maybe only like 5-6 total later in flower. Kinda surprised, since Bodhi’s Old Mother Ghani is a staple for him, and I wonder if it’s coming from the Fat Cherry side. It’s not really a big issue on this one. I doubt any true herm seeds were produced as a result of self pollination. Stamen came out too late for that to be a concern.

But since this particular plant showed the trait, I’m not real keen on propagating it in any lines that I’d want to keep long term.

11 Likes

Props to you man for such a simple method of growing in the small plastic pots with an autofeed system can’t see what lights you’re using from your pics but you seem to produce nice healthy plants every time from what I can see in your thread so that custom mix you’re running is doin the job :+1::100:

6 Likes

Thanks man, I appreciate the compliments. My lights are a bit of a hodge-podge of different LEDs. My favorites, and the ones I have most of are QB-knockoffs from Atreum lighting. I also have some Vero29 COBs, some Samsung strips and even some plain old LED blurple screw-in bulbs. These days I’d probably roll with some SolStrips. But I’ll ride out this gear until it dies for now.

I’m pretty happy with the custom mix. Most of the plants were super happy with it. Some of the more magnesium sensitive plants look like they wanted more. None of the plants expressed unhappiness with the nitrogen levels of flower. I’m going to trash the bloom boost portion all together. That initiated some of the calmag issues that the Afghanis showed. Next grow, I’m going to bring up the calcium and mag levels a little bit back toward the 321 formula, and add a tiny amount of Agsil back… I f-ing hate what it does to the pH, but god damn if it doesn’t really beef up the strength of the stems.

13 Likes

@Explorer I will say that I’m pretty happy with these 6" square pots. The 7" were too big – wasted more coco than was really needed – so I tried going down to 5". The 5" pots do work OK, but tended to compact too much in later flower due to root density and caused top-runoff instead of drainage through the coco medium.

But 6" I feel like is the sweet spot. I’ve also added back in some perlite. For a while I was using 100% coco, but the drainage tends to suffer in these small pots later in flowering without it. With the 6" pots and a little perlite, I think I’m going to stick with this potting setup for a while. It’s the best solution I’ve found to minimize the amount of coco, while giving the plants enough root space to be happy.

18 Likes

Wow, those roots look extremely clean! I’m a coco grower and by the end mine do not look anywhere near as clean as those man. Like the corner root colour is my entire root colour :rofl:

That’s some good info for me though I’ve been considering making the switch to DWC but I’ve seen these flood and drain type systems you’re running and they pull some amazing results. Curious I’m sure I read in your thread somewhere that they’re watered every hour for X amount of seconds? In that timespan is the amount enough to just drizzle fresh food to them to give a little runoff or is it enough to fully saturate/replace the feed that’s in the pot so to replace the hour old nutes?

5 Likes

I think the picture makes it look a little better than it is. I also use drip clean in my res, so maybe that helps?

Around week 3 of flower, I get my feeds up to the final schedule of 3x feeds per day. I usually feed for 90s first thing in the morning and 60s spaced later in the day. But of course that timing all hinges on how much flow you’re getting…

My goal is usually to get some runoff in the morning feed to keep the salts from building up, and then just enough to have a dribble of runoff for the other feeds (pretty much just feed to saturation). If I were going to be rigorous about it, what I’d do is periodically check the morning runoff and make sure the EC isn’t too much higher than the incoming EC. But unless I’m noticing problems, I’m usually a little lazy to do that.

12 Likes

What do you consider the optimum runoff EC compared to incoming EC? What does it tell you If it’s out of whack?

:cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Ideally your runoff is the same EC as your input. That’s hardly ever the case in my experience, but if you had 1.8EC at the top of the plant, and 2.0EC draining out, it’s not too bad. If your runoff EC is super hot, like >2.6 you’re probably already seeing problems in the leaves.

Essentially what this would tell you is that you have a lot of salts concentrating in your coco, and you need to increase your runoff to keep moving them out. Depending on how hot your runoff is, you might even want to flush a bit with water (or preferably water+drip clean) to bring it down.

6 Likes