ReikoX's Workshop

Juanita is finally green again. I’ve been pinching the apical growth to encourage her to bush out. She was flipped to flower last night. The plan is to hit her up with some Lowryder pollen I have stashed and see if it is still viable.

The workbench has been flipped to 12/12. I also added the flowering lights at 25% this keeps the DLI the same according to my math. :thinking:

The Adonis is huge at this point. She is not all that happy with the leaves in the fan, but overall is happy. I had a hard time getting the whole plant in the shot.

Jilly Bean 2/3 instead of topping her, I crushed the apical growth 180° down. This should promote more branching without slowing her down.

Jilly Bean 1/3 (not pictured) and Jilly Bean 3/3 are responding very well to the LST. They are opened up and should give me several nice tops.

Flipped!

Creme Brulee still need a week or two of veg. I am debating running these in the screen or just topping them. I know they are going to get very hungry on me once I flip them to 12/12…

26 Likes

Looking sexy in there. Keeping a close eye on your jilly bean can’t wait to see her finish.

3 Likes

I’ve got a run of her in this thread, I know its huge to search through. Here is a sneak peek at what she looks like. :+1::seedling:

28 Likes

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m thinking on my next non-SOG grow to bend rather then FIM to get more colas… been reading up on it some.

4 Likes

Coiling the main stem into a big circle works well too. Especially with tall hybrids :thumbsup:

5 Likes

Looking great love the LST work! Those cloners give problems sometimes. I use new collars and disinfect everything first with h2o2 then hydroguard or another Bene bacteria. I also use ph tap with them. The chlorine eventually gases off but it keeps the plant tissue free of disease until it gets a head start on rooting.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip @5o5love , I disinfected everything and have roots on most of them 8 days later. I use RO water, clonex at about 400ppm and resclear (pool shock), pH set to 6.0.

5 Likes

Each grower has their own journey. My journey started because of my love of hash. When I started growing, I knew I wanted to grow organic (whatever that really means). When I first started researching organics, it was quite intimidating. Everyone had their own soil recipe and the threads were hundreds of pages long. I had no way of knowing which one was a good recipe and which one wasn’t, so I went to the grow store. I picked up a bag of Fox Farms Coco Loco and some Biocanna nutrients at the suggestion of the “gro bro”. I used that for my first couple of grows, throwing away my soil each cycle and buying more bottles (SMH). I soon figured out that the Biocanna products were simply fermented plant juice (FPJ). I found the unconventional farmer website and started reusing my soil and making my own fermented fertilizers. I was still using bottles, but at least they were made by me and a whole lot less expensive.

By this point in my journey I had a pretty good handle on how to grow our beloved plant. I had been researching the soil food web, watching videos and reading books. After devouring everything I could find from the likes of Elaine Ingham and Jeff Lowenfels I stumbled on the Recycled Living Organic Soil (ROLS) thread on ICMag. In this thread Clackamas Coots starts breaking down a simple soil recipe and explains every part of the recipe. This soil recipe is complete with references to scientific papers. This thread goes off the rails and ends up with Coots banned from ICMag. He ends up in another thread on Grass City where Blue Jay Way starts experimenting with no-till. This is yet another epicly long thread, full of scientific references. In a second thread Blue Jay Way shows up again, this time as Mountain Organics and is continuing the original no-till methods. By this point he has been running the same pots no-till for many, many cycles.

After devouring all of this, I was sold and started mixing my own soils and a smallish no-till bed. I’ve recently been following Mountain Organics on instagram. He has a series of botanical glycerine tinctures that he sells. Currently he is running the beds on water only with minimal top dressing between cycles. He supplements the water only with foliar feeding of his tinctures. Well I looked at the descriptions and decided to try my own for far less. Glycerine is a natural preservative, giving these tinctures a shelf life of 12-24 months.

These are reetha nuts, I will make a tincture out of these for the saponins. This should act as a wetting agent and added to each foliar feed. First the seed is removed, the saponins are in the seed coat. These came from Amazon for about $6

All the tinctures are made with fresh aloe. Aloe has a lot of benefits, but mainly is used for the salicylic acid to simulate the systemic acquired response (SAR). These leaves are available at my local sprouts for about $2.

I’m starting with a ratio of 1 part reetha nuts (or whatever herbs), one part aloe vera gel, and three parts glycerine. The glycerine also came from Amazon and was about $24 for the gallon.

I made three tinctures, on the left is the reetha nut tincture, the middle is a corn sprout tincture, and the right is a neem/kelp tincture. Not pictured, I made a tincture using about half an ounce of Juanita la Lagrimosa flower and the glycerine (no aloe this is for medicating). I also plan to make a barley sprout tincture, the barley is sprouting now.

31 Likes

Very informative stuff as always.
@ReikoX Are the fermented additives you make like KNF? Sorry for my ignorance I have always been a bottle heretic :laughing:

2 Likes

Broheim! This deserves a dedicated thread!

2 Likes

The fermented plant or fruit juices are KNF in method that they are fermented with sugars…
These tinture are an extraction that doesn’t rely on alcohol for the process (glycerin instead)

6 Likes

Yes the glycerine actually prevents fermentation. It’s also water soluble. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Thank you for the information

2 Likes

I really need to met you in person. If someone has me physically do something, I get it. Words don’t work on my brain. I keep trying though.

7 Likes

Aren’t those just soap nuts? Never heard them referred as reetha?

I think back in the day Lotus had talked about using those all the time I’v looked at them on line but haven’t pulled the trigger yet , my thing now is the yucca Powder for BAS

1 Like

When ya starting a @ReikoX workshop II thread ? Dang man this thing is getting long! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Yep, it’s this is me trying to DIY these:

https://mountainorganics.net/about

2 Likes

Today I will be mixing up some reagents for THC and CBD testing. These tests are a subjective, reagent based, test. They will not give us an absolute number such as 20% THC or 8% CBD. What they will allow us to do is compare samples and say which one has more CBD/THC than the other(s). This will be particularly useful for my auto projects to determine which cultivar(s) to continue breeding.

**We will be working with chemicals, so let’s be as safe as possible. A respirator, protective eye glasses, and gloves just to be safe. I also suggest having a sink or eye wash station close by and a well ventilated space to work. **

First weigh out 5 grams of either the vanillin (THC) or potassium hydroxide (CBD). Shown here is the potassium hydroxide (KOH).

After the reagents are made, place them in a labeled amber bottle for later use. Shown here are both reagents mixed and ready to be bottled.

Next we need to decarboxylate the buds before testing. Heat the oven to 240°F. Weigh out about 0.75 - 1.00 grams of cannabis and make a little tin foil pouch. Use a Sharpie marker to identify different samples. Place the packets in the oven at 240°F for 40 minutes. Here I have several samples, Grass Monkey 3, 5, 7, 8; Creme Brulee 1,3,4,7; Diamonds and Pearls 1, 4, 8; and Juanita la Lagrimosa.

For each sample weigh out 0.50 grams in a shot glass and add 5.00 grams of denatured alcohol. Mix well and let set for 30 minutes. After this, decant the liquid off the top without getting any plant matter in with the sample. This is your extract for testing.

The first test will be the Duquenois reagent test for testing THC. This test has been modified to eliminate the use of chloroform. Get a glass vial and label it with our sample ID. Next add three drops of our cannabis extract, followed by 10 drops of the 5% vanillin reagent. Now, carefully add 10 drops of 37% hydrochloric acid in the same test vial with our reagent and extract. Mix well and wait for color change. This can take up to 30 minutes. The color should go from a light blue or purple to a dark blue or purple color depending on the amount of THC.

The next test will be the Beam reagent test for testing CBD. Get a glass vial and label it with our sample ID. Next add three drops of our cannabis extract, followed by 10 drops of the 5% KOH reagent. Mix well and wait for color change. The color should go from a light pink or purple to a dark pink or purple color depending on the amount of CBD.

The results of these tests were pretty much what was expected. These are almost all the same with the exception of Juanita la Lagrimosa (labeled JLL). The Juanita clearly showed a lighter color in the THC test and a darker color on the CBD test. I have previously tested this strain at 8% THC and 8% CBD. So, these results are inline with what I was expecting.

The original beam test used a non-polar solvent (naphtha) for the extraction. I would like to try that for the extract again as it eliminates much of the green color making the results easier to read IMO.

Source:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8180934&postcount=2

33 Likes

It’s funny @ReikoX, years ago I was actually isomerizing oils of “poor” quality cannabis to increase THC content… came out cherry-red after last wash and stripping of nonpolar solvent. Now-a-days, I actually look for higher CBD/CBN…

2 Likes