The basic Green Dragon recipe is about 75% efficient at stripping the cannabis of its medicinal compounds. The recipe suggest saving the left over plant material for a depletion batch. Save this material in a jar in the freezer. Depletion batches can also be made with material that has been previously extracted with dry ice, water sieve, dry sift, and pressing rosin. Once enough material has been saved, you can make a depletion batch ideal for making the topical recipes.
- Split your material into 2-3 jars depending on the amount of material, return the jars to the freezer.
- Place the alcohol bottle in the freezer for at least 24 hours.
- In the first jar, add just enough freezing cold alcohol to cover the plant material by about one inch, and then shake for five minutes.
- Strain the alcohol into the next jar, and then add additional freezing cold alcohol, just enough to cover the plant material by about one inch.
- Discard the strained plant material. **
- Shake the next jar for five minutes, and repeat the process for the remaining nnumber of jars. Each time straining the alcohol from the previous jar into the next.
- Filter through coffee filters and reduce as desired.
This batch is being made from the leftover scraps from making bubble hash. The buds were washed twice for 20 minutes each time. The remaining material was dried and decarbed in the oven. I split the buds into two jars each with about 28 grams (1/2 oz.).
After freezing the alcohol and buds for 24 hours, enough alcohol was added to just cover the buds about an inch. This was shaken for five minutes.
After shaking, the alcohol was strained right into the next jar and more fresh alcohol was added to cover the buds by about an inch. This was shaken for 5 minutes. If you had more material, you would repeat this process until all of the buds were processed.
This was filtered into a clean glass jar. I will be winterizing this batch, then I will reduce it down for use in topicals.
I recall BrassNWood over at GrassCity would use his still to reclaim the alcohol from his spent buds. I wanted to see if I could do something similar with my Source Turbo. I lined the crucible with a coffee filter and filled it with the moist buds from the first extraction.
After running the extractor twice (once for each batch) I was able to reclaim about 1/2 cup of alcohol! This thing is going to pay for itself in the long run.